Oct 21, 2009

Missing Grandma Nadine...

I haven't posted about this yet, but I decided it was time. A couple of weeks ago, Cody's sweet grandma passed away. It's always sad when we lose a grandparent. But this hit extra close to home for us. I worked full time until Avery was born. When she was born, Cody's grandpa Hal was sick. They needed people to help take care of him at home. So, I started going over there with Avery. We spent about a year with him, then he passed away. After that we took care of grandma. Over the years it's gone from Avery and I spending time with her, driving her around shopping, getting nails done and other fun things. She'g gotten sicker over the years and was able to do less and less. But, we have always been there. All my babies were babies in her house. We've slept there, and played there at least a couple days a week for over six years. Grandma was tired, and ready to go see her husband. We know she is happy, and not sick anymore. It was hard to explain to my kids, but what a spiritual learning experience. They know that we will see her again. But we sure miss her!!!
Emrie and Grandma on St. Patty's Day 09
She loved our noisy Emrie. She'd be laying in her hospital bed and hear Emrie from another room yelling or playing or crying or whatever. She'd always tell me "that baby's yelling at you" She called her the fat baby. All the way until the end, she loved having Emrie crawling around her bed. It was sweet!

us at the funeral
I knew grandma really well, having spent so much time with her. But, at the funeral I learned alot about her younger years and all the things she did in her life. She was a tough, experienced woman. She had five children. Her and her husband were farmers among other things. She delivered mail for ten years, and was also a private investigator for a while. I thought that was cool. It was neat going through all the really old pictures, seeing what everyone looked like. She was a hottie back in the day!


This next series are just some funny pictures of silly Emrie. My sister took her out in the hall during the funeral because she was being EXTRA LOUD!!! These are some of the funny faces she makes

This is my favorite! She does it all the time.


Cody's brother Martin drove out from Texas with his three kids for the funeral, and stayed a few days. These cousins have so much fun together. We are sad that they live so far away.

We went up to the park at Anthem for the day. Perfect weather, and a really fun park!



Liam and Grace


Silly Avery and Caleb

Silly Emrie again..sitting on the playground toys. She is growing up too fast!!!
Death is always sad. But, as I told Avery. It's really only sad for us, the people left behind. Because we miss them. For our loved ones who die, they are just going home. There is no more sickness or pain. So, they aren't sad. It does make me want to show more love to my family and loved ones around me!

2 comments:

Erika said...

That was a sweet post, made me cry! It's good to spend time with grandparents like that. I am glad she is home with her hubby now. And how fun that she was a PI!

Also, Emrie is a doll...love the faces.

The Gearharts said...

That was a great post Candie, you are really lucky to have been able to get to know her so well and to learn so much from her. It is nice though that she is now at peace.

And as for Emrie, I'm glad she is such a cutie, it makes her kissing Rainier all the more adorable.